“If you are a food addict and are prone to comfort eating, this style of exercise is fool proof. It works miracles in your psyche. There is no way you can stay down or in the funk when you do this type of exercise”
I have a simple solution to defeating depression. It is non pharmaceutical and easily accessible. Yesterday I had an onslaught of depressing and immobilizing situations. Immobilizing because that is what depression does to me. Something happens that makes me feel bad, I get my feelings hurt, I get angry, or something is so sad I cannot bear it. So instead of doing what I know I must do to get out of the funk, I become immobilized and do nothing or resort to old comfort behaviors.
The comfort behavior I am talking about is one I am sure you are familiar with.
I am talking about comfort eating. I did not go too terribly hog wild.
My day went something like this:
- I stopped into one of those coffee joints and had a high sugar coffee and a chocolate treat.
- It did not make me feel better at all.
- First of all they did not call my name when my drink was done so it sat there for several minutes getting cold.
- Later in the day the sweet treat began to wreak havoc on my gut.
- By the end of the day I was having extreme abdominal pain.
- The topper of the whole day was that I could not sleep that night because I had the coffee in the afternoon.
- So the next day I was also a mess.
- I had the gut pain and was super tired.
But let me back up a bit. The reason I felt like I needed this was that someone unknowingly said something that hurt my feeling, twice in one day.
What prompted this post is not to blubber about my feelings. It is what this program has done to fortify me against these types of attacks. The only problem or obstacle to this working is not doing it. It is that easy.
Comfort eating or reward eating did not work for me this time because
- I am not in the habit of doing it. I literally do not resort to food anymore. I had to force myself on this particular day.
- The good benefits of eating right outweigh the bad results of not.
- I turn to ice water now as a habit.
- I am motivated to keep my A1C within normal range.
- I can pass up sweets because I do not want to feel the pain.
I have often said that sometimes we do things that we know will hurt us because we don’t want to feel whatever other emotional pain we are experiencing, so we give ourselves physical pain.
This can easily be relieved by doing a 3minute workout to music. Play 3 or 4 of your songs on your playlist, and just dance or do whatever your routine is or get on my mailing list to get custom workouts made just for you.
I did mine this morning and even though I made myself watch two heart breaking FB videos and cried then came to work and found out that I made a mistake I am not immobilized, I am not depressed. I can go on. I can be happy. I am happy with who I am and am thankful for all that I have.