THIS AD IS LYING TO YOU
Let’s talk turkey!
Thanksgiving Day is almost here.
It’s odd to think that on that one day almost everyone in the United States and even in other countries will be eating the same food. Then the next day everyone will have the same left overs and the same wonderful meals they bring, like turkey sandwiches, turkey enchiladas and turkey soup. As a nurse (and we all know nurses can be gross) I also think what naturally follows this great meal is the same digestive process for everyone. Without getting too graphic I think you know what I mean.
As the big Turkey Day
approaches I thought it would be appropriate to address this little thorn in my side. It’s something that turns my mind into a whirling dervish. I’m not sure if this is a national advertisement, or just locally in our city. It is for a probiotic. Which mind you, I have nothing against probiotics except for the fact that they have to be live cultures in order to be effective and I find that hard to believe a culture can be kept alive in a capsule that has been on a shelf or factory for an unknown amount of time. But that is not my gripe. It is what the silly commercial is claiming. It goes something like this…”Hey guess what ( a woman talking to her female friend) It turns out I’m not fat I was just bloated.” “You have to try these probiotics, the only thing you have to worry about is if your belly gets too flat, then you just back off a bit”
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!
PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME YOU DON’T BELIEVE THIS!
Let’s get a few things straight before you fall into this trap.
- You cannot poop away your fat. You might feel 20 pounds lighter after a good cleansing movement, but you have not lost any fat. Fat is what makes a person obese and what gives them belly fat, not body waste.
- There is a condition that is seen mostly in the elderly, that presents itself with uncontrollable diarrhea, and an inability to absorb any nutrients into the bowel, which results in malnutrition and eventually death. There does not seem to be any cure for this disorder, although there is a procedure that has been successful in treating some forms of this disorder. It is call Fecal Microbiota Transplant ( I personally would rather sh_t myself to death than to have someone else’s poop floating around in my colon. The thought horrifies me.
- If this procedure is done to introduce probiotics directly into the colon to STOP diarrhea, it does not make sense that the advertised probiotic causes you to have so many bowel movements that your belly becomes FLAT.
- If you want to have daily bowel movements follow these simple steps faithfully and you will soon be regular as clockwork.
- drink 2 glasses of ice water upon rising and then 4 glasses during the day and 2 more before bed.
- give yourself quiet time in the morning after you wake up, to allow a relaxed natural movement
- eat a normal well balanced diet. Adding oatmeal as a snack (in any form) at night will ensure a movement the next day.
With that said I wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving, from the bottom of my….heart.